FN tells in private notes that during her stay at Kaiserwerth was the
first time in her life, and she was in her 30s, that she "did" her own
hair. It was certainly the only time she ever wore simple cotton clothes
in the form of the deaconess' uniform. History tells us of the greatness
of Pastor Fliedner and his relationship with FN. But it is to Caroline
Fliedner, the pastor's wife, who did most of the managing of the Hospital
and staff, that she wrote of her deepest worries in the Barrack Hospital
during the war.
Left: The original building at Kaiserwerth, the "Stammhaus," now an old people's home; a woodcut from "The Institution of Kaiserswerth." Right: the "Mutterhaus," into which the deaconesses moved in 1903.
Visit Kaiserswerth's home page.